Pipelines drive the continuous aspect of Continuous Delivery for Puppet Enterprise (PE). Constructing a pipeline involves defining work that must happen to ensure every new line of Puppet code is ready for deployment. Once your pipeline is set up, this work happens automatically each time the pipeline is triggered.
Stages and tasks
- Start task B only if all tasks in stage A succeed.
- If a task in stage A fails, stop the pipeline and report the error.
You can also Enable compiler maintenance mode if you want code deployments in your pipelines to skip unavailable (or offline) compilers and replicas.
Use the web UI or code to build and manage pipelines
.cd4pe.yamlfile. The web UI is simpler, and it is easier to make iterative changes with the web UI controls. Using a YAML file to build pipelines as code is more complex, but it is preferred if you:
- Need a record of changes to your pipeline over time
- Want to avoid manually creating similar pipelines for many control repos or modules.
- Make changes to your Puppet code that require new pipeline definitions and you want to commit changes to your pipelines-as-code at the same time.