Add users and groups
Continuous Delivery for Puppet Enterprise (PE) facilitates collaboration between team members. You can share resources by adding users to your workspace, and you can set up groups to manage permissions granted to each team member.
Add a user to a workspace
Adding users to your workspace allows you to collaborate on projects and share account resources such as jobs and pipelines. You can add users in the Settings area of the Continuous Delivery for PE web UI.
Make sure each user you wish to add has signed up for a Continuous Delivery for PE account. You'll need their selected username or the email address they used when signing up.
- In the Continuous Delivery for PE web UI, click Settings then click Users.
- Click Add a user.
- On the Add users to workspace page, search for the username or email address of the user you wish to add to your workspace.
- Select the user you wish to add to the workspace.
For version 4.4.0 and newer versions: Assign the user to one or more
Note: Beginning in Continuous Delivery for PE version 4.4.0, newly created workspaces include three built-in user groups: Administrators, Operators, and Viewers. For details on the permissions included in each built-in group, see the Permissions reference.
- Click Add users to workspace. Repeat these steps to add additional users.
- When you're finished adding users, click Done to return to the Users screen, where you'll see the full list of users with access to your Continuous Delivery for PE workspace.
Create a group and set group permissions
Groups to organize users by permission level, job focus, geography, or any other criteria you choose. Permissions define the tasks that group members can perform in Continuous Delivery for Puppet Enterprise (PE), such as adding control repos, editing jobs, and deploying code changes. Assign permissions to groups based on each group's functions and needs.
- In the Continuous Delivery for PE web UI, click Settings.
- On the Groups tab, click Create new group.
Enter a name and description for the new group.
Tip: Choose a name that describes the group's purpose, role, or permission level, such as Read-only users or Module developers.CAUTION: You can't edit group names or descriptions after this point. If you need to change the name or description, you must delete the group and recreate it.
Select permissions to assign to this group. For explanations of each
permission's scope, see the Permissions reference. Group
permissions are additive; therefore, if a user belongs to multiple groups, that
user can perform all actions allowed by all permissions from all of their
To assign permissions on a certain subset of the control repos or modules in your workspace:
- In the permissions section, click Edit permissions next to Control Repos subset or Modules subset.
- Select the repos or modules to include in the subset and click Save selection.
Select permissions to give the user group. You can allow list (view),
edit, and delete permissions for all control repos/modules in the
workspace or only on the selected subset.
If you create a subset and do not assign any permissions on the subset, the subset is discarded when you save your permission selections.
- Click Save and add users.
- On the Add users page, select workspace members to add to this group, and click Add users to group.
- Click Done. Continuous Delivery for PE creates your user group and redirects you to the group page.
To delete a group, first remove all members from the group, and then click Delete group .
Remove users from workspaces
You can remove users from Continuous Delivery for PE workspaces in the Settings area of the Continuous Delivery for PE web UI.
- Log in to the Continuous Delivery for PE web UI and make sure you are viewing the workspace you want to remove the user from.
- Click .
- Locate the user you want to remove from the workspace.
- Click Delete user and confirm your decision.
- Repeat these steps to remove additional users from the workspace.